News & Events
Browse through the articles below to learn more about products, innovations, and contributions we are making to the protective and marine coatings industry.
FDA 175.300 Compliant Coating Offers Low Permeability and Corrosion Resistance for a Wide Range of Food Contact Surfaces
Magnalux™ 304 FF is a flake filled vinyl ester for dry and liquid storage offering chemical and heat resistance in an easy-to-use formulation
CLEVELAND (August 16, 2011) – Food and beverage manufacturers require storage coatings that meet the highest safety standards and offer long-lasting performance and easy care. Addressing these demands, Sherwin-Williams today introduced Magnalux™ 304 FF, a flake filled vinyl ester approved for food contact surfaces associated with producing, storing and transporting food products.
Magnalux 304 is a chemical resistant immersion coating comprised of a vinyl ester resin containing mica flakes that reduce permeability and improve edge retention for longer service life. Offering maximum flexibility, it is formulated with an extended pot life and can be applied with conventional or airless spray equipment on steel and concrete surfaces.
Magnalux 304 meets FDA 175.300 for conditions of use D, E and F, covering dry and liquid foods and beverages that are:
- Hot filled or pasteurized below 150 degrees F;
- Room temperature filled and stored, with no thermal treatment in the container; and
- Subject to refrigerated storage, with no thermal treatment in the container.
The coating is approved for food types I, II, III, IVA and IVB, V, VI, VII, and VIII within these ranges:
- Nonacid (pH above 5.0), aqueous products; may contain salt or sugar or both, and including oil-in-water emulsions of low- or high-fat content.
- Acidic (pH 5.0 or below), aqueous products; may contain salt or sugar or both, and including oil-in-water emulsions of low- or high-fat content.
- Aqueous, acid or nonacid products containing free oil; may contain salt or sugar or both, and including oil-in-water emulsions of low- or high-fat content.
- Dairy products and modifications: A. Water-in-oil emulsion, high- or low-fat. B. Oil-in-water emulsion, high- or low-fat.
- Low moisture fats and oils.
- Beverages: A. Containing alcohol. B. Nonalcoholic.
- Bakery products.
- Dry solids.
In addition to providing lasting performance over a wide variety of food types, Magnalux 304 is formulated to save time and labor and ensure fast return to service. It can be applied in one coat for a dry film thickness of 14-16 mils, is fast drying and cures in only 2-3 days. The product is also low in volatile organic compounds (VOCs) at less than 150 grams per liter. Magnalux 304 is also easy to clean and disinfect, allowing tanks and vessels to be returned to service quickly.
“While we have provided coatings and linings for food and beverage applications for many years, Magnalux 304 fits very nicely in our portfolio of products for this industry,” said Narsi Bodapati, Sherwin-Williams Vice President of Marketing. “We are pleased to offer our food and beverage customers this new storage coating option backed by the expertise and innovation they expect from Sherwin-Williams.”
Sherwin-Williams is a global protective and marine coatings company that delivers smarter asset protection and unmatched service and specification support to its customers from 3,900 locations worldwide. From alkyds to zincs, the company offers a complete line of time-tested, high performance coatings and systems to combat corrosion, supported by the largest group of NACE-certified coatings inspectors in the industry. With more than 140 years in business and a culture of product innovation, Sherwin-Williams today is the single source of supply for coatings solutions made to your specifications and delivered on time, every time.
Editor contact, Debbie Pirone, 216-292-4700, firstname.lastname@example.org
Customer contact: 800-524-5979